Watercolour 1912, Mary Bligh.

A Brief Look

Brittas Estate holds a wealth of history and is home to a great abundance of flora, fauna and features of natural beauty. It is a working estate and home to a large variety of animals and to the estate residents who occupy the various, lodges, cottages and main house. Notably FX Buckley are supplied from the Belted Galloway cattle herd and serve the top quality beef in their restaurants.
The owners of Brittas who are past and current Joint Masters of the Tara Harriers means the Estate plays host to Hunt Meets, Beagle Hunts, Cubbing Meets and various other countryside pursuits.

Also visiting the estate are The Irish Tree Society, The Irish Georgian Society and over the years a number of research professionals particularly interested in the history of the Bligh family and the connection to the renowned Irish architect Francis Johnson who circa 1801 designed the East Wing Ballroom addition and remodelled the main house.

A Brief History

Brittas Estate dates back to land originally owned by The Cruise family of Cruicetown that circa 1657 was granted to John Bligh as a beneficiary of the 'Adventurers' scheme. This scheme was Oliver Cromwell's solution to financing the war against King Charles I. Effectively confiscated Irish Land was traded to 'Adventurers' willing to make a payment to the war chest of Cromwell. While this puts Brittas amidst poignant Irish History the lands and the previous owners story is also full of poignance and relevance right up to the Cruise family relation to Hollywood Movie Star Tom Cruise!

The Bligh family lived at Brittas until the early 1990's. Notably Lieutenant General Thomas Bligh (1693 - 1775) lived on the estate and his mausoleum set on a hill overlooking the estate is backed by a regimental formation of lime trees that he had planted to commemorate his most famous battle 'Raid on Cherbourg'. Following the death of Gwendolyn Bligh Barrington in 1990 the property passed to a relative of her late husband ending the Bligh reign of 333 years at Brittas (1657 to 1990).
The Estate was saved from developer plans for a golf course and distinct herds were introduced to occupy the indigenous wood and grass lands with The Estate and buildings being tastefully maintained and preserved. A more complete history is available on the history page.